Thursday, September 10, 2009

First experience with Kubuntu 9.04

I just installed Kubuntu 9.04. Even though I have tried KDE 4.2 earlier this was a fresh installation and become a fresh experience.
Installation was usual no problems at all. But the connecting to Internet from the newly installed system was not that smooth. The package wvdial was not installed by default but networkmanager was there with a plasma widget front end. There was no way to put my Huawei E220 in to business.
I had two options to bring it back to business which I was familiar,
1. Install wvdial manually with all it's dependencies
2. Install knetworkmanager which has a GUI
But both options required Internet access to download the required packages which led me to go with (1) and download all required packages from a different PC and move them manually to the newly installed system.
Following post was very helpful to get the wvdial installed,
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=846522 (reply #8)

No comments: